Saturday, July 11, 2009

Philemon Prayer

Paul’s Prayer for Philemon.
“I always thank my God when I mention you in my prayers,
because I hear about the love you have for all God’s people
and the faith you have in the Lord Jesus. I pray that the
faith you share may make you understand every blessing
we have in Christ. I have great joy and comfort, my brother,
because the love you have shown to God’s people has
refreshed them.” Philemon 1:4-7 NCV

Who was Philemon? Philemon was a slave owner. He was a
Church member at Colosse. Perhaps he was saved under Paul.
Onesimus was a slave under Philemon. Onesimus ran away from
Colosse and went to Rome. Later, he met with Paul and Paul
led him to Christ. Paul wrote a personal letter to Philemon
who had lived in Colosse. Paul also wrote another letter to
Colossians, the group of Christians. So both letters were
written and delivered at the same time.

Paul wrote further to Philemon about Onesimus and to forgive
him and accept him as a brother in Christ. Paul’s prayer for
Philemon was his great love toward God’s people. Onesimus
went back to Philemon with an open arms. The history told
that Onesimus became the most beloved Pastor to the church.
It was through Paul’s love and Philemon’s love toward him
and that is what made Onesimus a great servant of the Lord.

Do you have love for others? Love will lead you to pray
for your brothers and sisters in the Lord. May the Lord touch
your heart and enrich your soul. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!