Tuesday, July 28, 2009

II Samuel Psalm of Praise

David sang this song to the Lord when the Lord saved him from Saul and all his other enemies. He said: “The Lord is my rock, my protection, my Savior. My God is my rock. I can run to Him for safety. He is my shield and my saving strength, my defender and my place of safety. The Lord saves me from those who want to harm me. I will call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise and I will be saved from my enemies” (2 Samuel 22:1-4 NCV).

Second Samuel only records the reign of David, a period of 40 years (1010-970 B.C.) David was anointed King at Hebron over Judah for seven and a half years (chapter 2:1-4:12). David conquered Jebusites and moved to the city, called Jersualem (5:6-10). David reign at Jersusalem for 33 years over Israel. David came to the closing of life.

David was near death and what was in his heart? A Psalm of praise and David said: “I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies (Psalm 18:1-3 KJV).

David was a young teenager and a shepherd when God told Samuel to anoint David as a future king (I Samuel 16:1-13). From I Samuel 16:14 through 31:13 David ran through many obstacles, something that stand in his ways that prevent David to become king right away. From his youth to his old age, and through all the trials and enemies in his life, David’s heart had always been a song of praise.

Do you have obstacle that stands in your way that kept you from becoming what you want to be? Like David, let us have a song of praise in our heart for “God dwells in the heart of praise.” I pray that this devotion will inspire you to trust God through all your obstacles. God in His time will lead you to what He has called you to be and where He will lead you to do His will. May the Lord God bless you.

No comments: