Thursday, July 23, 2009

Judges Prayer

Ask God to restore your strength.
Then Samson prayed to the Lord, “Lord God, remember
me. God, please give me strength one more time…,”
Judges 16:28 NCV

The book of Judges had thirteen judges between Joshua and Samuel’s time. As the whole book of Judges, one thing was noticed: when the Israel began to worship other gods, God allowed the neighbor of enemies to oppress them. What did Israel do when the oppression got so bad from their enemies? Israelite cried out to God for help. God heard their cries and sent a deliverer to help them defeat their enemies. Then Israel had peace as long as they worship their only true God who was the possessor of heaven and earth.

Samson was one of the 13 judges who had called upon the Lord for help. If you know the story of Samson (Judges 13-16), he was led to the two center pillars that support the whole Temple of Dagon. Samson prayed to the Lord for strength to be able to push the center pillars, causing the Temple of Dagon to fall and destroyed the Philistines rulers and 3,000 people who gathered together to worship their god, Dagon. So the oppression from the Philistines ceased and the Israelite had peace. God was greater than Dagon and He alone was to be worshipped.

This story reminds us that whenever we sense oppression, we like Samson could pray to the Lord to give us strength to command the oppression to leave us alone. The Spirit of the Lord will fill us with great peace. Through the story, we get to know our God who hears our prayers and is willing to give us strength when we ask Him.

Prayer: Lord, I thank You for the story of Judges. You have helped them so many times. So I ask You and know that You are willing to give me strength to do my job. I ask You, Father to give my friends strength for healing as well. I pray that You will pour out the oil of healing and touch their bodies and heal them in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!