Friday, July 1, 2011

Mercy by Special Guest

Happy July First! Kim Johnson has a good devotion on "mercy." So I thought to share with you if you haven't seen it. This is from Kim of Edmonton, Canada!

30 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5: 30-32 Today's New Intl.Version

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.” Matthew 5: 7 (KJV) "You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'care-full,' you find yourselves cared for.” Matthew 5: 7 The Message

Mercy is defined by Webster's Dictionary as: 1) compassion or forbearance shown to an offender or subject; clemency or kindness extended to someone instead of strictness or severity; 2) a blessing regarded as an act of divine favor or compassion; 3) relief of distress; compassion shown to victims of misfortune.

Allow me to share a lesson that I learned from my mom. Some years ago when my mother came to visit us here in Edmonton, Alberta. One morning I was driving with my son in front seat and my daughter in back with her grandmother when all of a sudden and out of blue a lady appeared on road, almost right in front of our van. She appeared to walk zigzag, and waved at us. I was fortunate to stop and not hit her, but I was upset, and she came to passenger window. Irritated, I told Syd to lock door, and not to talk to her. The lady appeared incoherent, but seemed to want to talk. Reluctantly, I rolled down window a bit, and even though she had a strong smell, my mom talked to her. Seeing the auto shop on left side (which we are their regular customers), I gestured, and told lady to follow us. So I turned left, and it was fortunate there were no other cars in sight, so not to jeopardize her life. Then at auto shop, I was the most agitated, but my mom was calm, and willing to help her. My mom got out of van, and led lady inside auto shop. The owner of shop was kind to call police so to come and give help to lady. So while we waited, my mom made effort and time to sit and talk with lady. Then my mom came, and told us that lady told her that she was a mother of five.

What I learned from it is that understandably I was upset that I could have hit her, but I didn't look deep enough to understand why she did this, that maybe she was crying out for help or mercy. My mom looked past her human errors (and even mine), and went into depth to understand the core of her soul. Looking back at this, she helped me to understand we need to overlook other people's faults, and understand their needs.

I love the story of Pharisees and tax collector Matthew when Jesus called him to become one of His disciples. Jesus told Matthew to come and follow Him. The Pharisees were disgusted or agitated that Jesus ate and associated with sinners. Jesus brought hope to those who were crying out for mercy, forgiveness, and love. I was like the Pharisees when my mother made the time, sat, and talked with the lady. Then when she came and told us she was a mother like us, that hit me like a rock. It was the nicest thing my mother talked about her, and I needed to see nice things about this lady too! I was grateful that at least she could get the right help and grateful that my mom made time and listened to her. We, who are merciful, care, or are compassionate, are blessed, and God promises His kindness towards us too. (Thank you Kim)

No comments: