Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stir Up the Gift

2 Timothy 1:6
Paul said: “Stir up the gift of God which is in thee.”

Dorothy: Does the gift inside of you go to ‘sleep’? Do you sometimes feel as if something is so quiet inside of you? What should you do? Here is an example how Paul encouraged Timothy to stir up the gift that is in him. 2 Timothy 1:6 says “Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.”

I like to give a broader picture why and how this verse came about. In New Century Version from 1 Tim. 1:3-7 “I thank God as I [Paul] always mention you in my prayers, day and night. I serve him, doing what I know is right as my ancestors did. Remembering that you cried for me, I want very much to see you so I can be filled with joy. I remember your true faith. That faith first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice, and I know you now have that same faith. This is why I remind you to keep using the gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. Now let it grow, as a small flame grows into a fire. God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a Spirit of power and love and self-control.” [Note: laid my hands on means “The laying on of hands had many purposes, including the giving of a blessing, power, or authority.”]

The key words are ‘remember your true faith.’ Paul encouraged Timothy to stir up the gift of Holy Spirit by remembering all that his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice had taught him the Word of God. Paul rekindled (light up) the small flame to grow into a fire for the Lord. How about you? Remember all the verses you have studied and allows others to encourage you to become “awaken” and “become alive” inside of you. Encourage one another in the Lord is what Paul had done. So we do the same for each other. Praise God for Fresh Manna so that I could “light up” the small flame inside of you to grow into a “big fire” for the Lord.

May the Lord pour out His Spirit upon you and richly bless you in Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!