Friday, October 29, 2010

They were astonished

Matthew 7:28-29 “And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: For He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes” (KJV).

Luke 4:32, 36 “And they were astonished at his doctrine for his (Jesus) word was with power. And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, “What a word is this! For with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out” (KJV).

People asked question: Where did Jesus get His authority from? Jesus said that God was His teacher and God, the Father was the One who authorized Jesus and gave His Son the power to do the work of miracles and healings (John 7:14-24).

The word, “astonish” means to strike with sudden wonder or surprise and also the word, “amazed” means to surprise or astonish greatly and fill with wonder. Both words are commonly used in the Bible so it is important to know them well. It inspires me to realize that people have never seen anyone like Christ had done, miracles, healings and cast out unclean spirits. It is like God, the Father through His Son, likes to surprise His own people. The Holy Spirit inspires me with this song. It is a very old song.

O, how I love Him, how I adore Him,
My Breath, my Sunshine, My all in all,
The great Creator became my Savior,
And all God’s fullness dwelleth in Him (Jesus).
(Author unknown)

So trust God and you never know what surprises He will bring to you!