Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Kid's Success

Proverbs 29:18 NCV
"Where there is no word from God, people are uncontrolled, but those who obey what they have been taught are happy."

One little colored boy came to my Sunday School class and I began with a weekly memorize verse with reward. They were to have their parents to work with them on John 3:16 at home during the week. The following Sunday morning class, His older brother skillfully quoted John 3:16. The little boy bowed down his head and said, "My mom and dad told me that I had problem with memorizing verse. I can't do it." I responded with 'huh'? "Okay, let's change this. Let's do 3 words at a time and you repeat it until you know them well. Then add 3 more words and memorize it. Then go back and repeat 6 words together. Then 3 more words then go back and quote 9 words together." I said, "You did it!" He was so excited even though it took longer for him to memorize the whole John 3:16. At the end of church service, the custom was for them to sign out the verse they had memorized. The parents were shocked that their little son had succeeded. So every week both boys memorized new verse with reward.

Several months later, the little boy came to me with a big smile on his face. His hands were hiding something behind him. The parents stand with him, smiling. So I asked, "What's up?" The little boy showed me his two award trophies from the school he had won.

The first award trophy was his best behavior had improved since he first started to memorize weekly verse. Before that, he could not sit still and almost every day, it was like he was out of control. The parents and the teacher didn't know what to do with him. After he started to memorize weekly verse, eventually his behavior changed. He was able to sit still and pay close attention to the teacher. Memorizing God's Word had taken care of his behavior problem. The teacher was so amazed at the big change that had taken place in the class room.

His second award trophy was a big improvement in his school studies. His grades went up. Before he started memorizing verses, he had problems with school work. His grades were always poor. The teacher was also impressed with a big change in him even ask what happened? The little boy just memorized God's Word and it had changed his life.

A few years later this same guy in 6th grade class in a different school told me his story. Each student in his class required standing up in front of the class and gave a speech on their topic. He was voted as a best lecture given in his class. His teacher asked him a question on how did he do it? He simply said, "My Sunday school teacher had me and my brother memorized the verse every week. After church service, we were to stand in front of the people. We gave report what we have learned in our Sunday school class." The teacher said, "I wish all of the kids could learn and practiced in Sunday School class. It might have made a difference." This guy was happy to realize how memorizing the Word of God had influenced his life and made him a better person. (End)

Awesome! How powerful God's Word could even influence our lives?