Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Jesus, "I AM" of O.T. 7/21-25

Jesus Is the “I AM” of the Old Testament – Exodus 3:13-15
          Exodus 3:14 “And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you.”
          (1)  Moses was taking care of his father-in-law’s sheep. Moses led the sheep to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.  Moses saw a burning bush with fire that was not consumed (destroyed or disappeared). Moses was curious and he turned aside to see why the bush does not burn. (Read Exodus 3:1-6).
          (2)  “And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush” (v.2), saying, “Do not draw near this place.  Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground” (v.5).
          (3)  Then the Angel of the Lord revealed His identity (find out who He is): “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob” (v.6).
          (4)  In John 8:58, Jesus looked back in time to this event and identified (to show who He is) Himself as the great “I AM.”  Jesus did not say, “Before Abraham was, I was.” He said, “Before Abraham was, I AM.”
          (5)  Jesus claimed that He was always there before Abraham. Jesus declared Himself to be the eternal living God.  Jesus claimed to be the Creator of everything in God’s universe. “All things were created through Him and for Him” (Col. 1:16).
          (6) When God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM,” what does God mean? God is saying, “I am self-existent, (I am real. I am alive. I continue to live forever.) I am eternal Jehovah God.”  He is the great I AM.
          (7)  There’s a song called, “He’s the Lord of Glory.”  Chorus:
“He’s the Lord of Glory, He is the Great I am;
He’s the Alpha and Omega, The beginning and the end.
His name is Wonderful, The Prince of Peace is He;
The Everlasting Father Throughout eternity.”
(Written by Phyllis G. Spiers, Sing His Praise)
           
  Dorothy: What did I learn from this? That Jesus is the “I AM” in the Old Testament. It was like a “hidden clue” and I didn’t realized it was Jesus, Himself who was the “Angel of the Lord” who appeared to Moses and called Himself, “I AM.” Jesus gave us the clue from John 8:58, “Before Abraham was, I AM.”
 

Note: The studies which came from The Christian Life Bible, NKJV with Master Outlines and Study Notes by Dr. Porter L. Barrington. Dorothy Callies compiled these studies chosen for the Deaf simplified reading in Sign Language.


No comments: