Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Day!

"Good people, rejoice and be happy in
the Lord. Sing all you whose hearts
are right." Psalms 32:11 ncv

In our old days many of the Deaf would
sing this song, "Happy Day." Surprised,
there's a story behind that song and I
want to share it. My summary from World's
Greatest Hymn Stories, Robert J. Morgan.
(You could log in www.nelsonreference.com)

Monica Doddridge had 20 children, but 18
babies died. Phillip was born 1702 and he
was the 20th child. Monica, his mother
trained Philip to know the Bible. Later
on his mother died and he became an orphan.
He was poor, lack of good food, etc. With
help he went to be educated and became a
minister. His health was frail, but he
went on to do important work and he died
at the age of 48.

Interesting thing about Phillip, he wrote
a song, "Happy Day." He also wrote 400 hymns.
For 22 years, he trained students at Northampton
Academy in England and his life radiated to many
with his sermons and his powerful prayer life
in spite of his frail health. (Frail mean
very thin, and not very strong, weak)

Song: O Happy Day, That Fixed My Choice
Happy day, happy day, When Jesus washed
my sins away! He taught me how to watch
and pray, And live rejoicing every day,
Happy day, happy day, When Jesus washed
my sins away! (Phillip Doddridge)

What does this mean to me? Philip's story
made me realized why he wrote "Happy Day."
It is not because of his poor health. It
is because Jesus washed our sins away. If
you have problems, this story could inspire
you to love God more and to pray often.

So let's trust God today!