Friday, February 8, 2008

Little Children - 5

I John 2:1,12,13b; 3:18; 4:4; 5:21 KJV
"My LITTLE CHILDREN, these things write I unto you, that
ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with
the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. I write unto you,
LITTLE CHILDREN, because your sins are forgiven you for
his name's sake. I write unto you, LITTLE CHILDREN, because
you have known the Father. My LITTLE CHILDREN, let us not
love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
Ye are of God, LITTLE CHILDREN, and have overcome them:
because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in
the world. LITTLE CHILDREN, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Dorothy's summary,
notes from William Barclay:
John, the author of First John was written in Ephesus a
little after A.D. 100. Many were now second or third
generation Christians. John was writing at a time when,
for some at least, the first thrill was gone and the
flame of devotion had died to a 'flicker' as prophecy
in Matthew 24:12, "Most men's love will grow cold."
What cause this? John had warned that "Many false
prophets have gone out into the world" (I John 4:1).
"My little children" was the concern to his "sheep"
of his churches. John was a very caring pastor and he
had tenderness for those who are his "little children"
in faith. John insisted all over his letters that the
true test of Christianity was love for the brethren.
There were "false prophets" who tried to destroy that
kind of love fellowship among Christians. John taught
his "little children" the important of the commandment
that those who loves God must love his brother also.
John's letters teaches us about Christ and who He is.
As a pastor, it was John's desire "to bring men closer
to one another and closer to God." John's greatest
Christian message can be summed up as having two
great aims--love for men and love for God.

Children's Hymns, "My Jesus, I Love Thee"
My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For thee all the follies of sin I resign;
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.