Monday, February 8, 2016

The Sparrow 2/8-9

08-09 Feb 2016 - His Eye Is on the Sparrow – Devotion by Dorothy Callies
Matt. 10:31 KJV, “Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.”

I would define the word ‘value’ as to one of several meanings, “precious and worth.” Jesus explained what Heavenly Father thinks of you as compared to a sparrow. There is something very precious here that God knows every single sparrow on the earth. Not a single sparrow falls that He is not aware of. It means that every injury to the sparrow, our Heavenly Father feels the pain and hurt no matter how common or forgotten or ignored. The sparrow is very dear to God.

Jesus teaches that God’s faithful children are of great worth to their heavenly Father. Sometimes when we go through so many trials and problems, yet have you ever wonder if our Heavenly Father really cares about all those little things that were happenings to us? Sometimes it put fears in us wondering if we did something wrong for having so much troubles.  Yet Jesus said, “Fear not, you are worth a lot more to God than the sparrow.”

What was Jesus trying to tell us from verse 29 when sparrow falls, does the Father knows about it? Here’s the point: we need to realize who God is so Christ is pointing out five powerful yet precious facts. I would like to quote this part from the Preacher’s Outline & Sermon. 

1.      God’s providence: God sees, knows, cares and oversees all the events and happenings on earth—just as He knows all about the little sparrow that is so common and forgotten.
2.      God’s knowledge: God knows every little happenings and all that is, even to the most minute details. He knows when a single sparrow falls to the ground.
3.      God’s power: God is able to control the persecution and events that happen to the believer, no matter how detailed and minute. He can control and work them out for good to such an extent that there is no need for the believer to fear.
4.      God’s love and care: God cares about every hurt inflicted upon the believer by persecutors, even to the most minute injury and hurt. The believer is not to fear but to put His trust in the love and care of God.
5.      God’s purpose: God is able to take all the injuries and pain inflicted by the sin and shame of men and work it all out for good of the believer. He is able to give purpose, meaning and significance to it all (Rom.8:28). Therefore the believer is not to fear.

The believer is of much more value than many sparrows, for we are God’s adopted son (Gal.4:5-6). Just as God has His eye on the sparrow, He has His watchful eye on His “dear children” (Eph.5:1).

Song: His Eye Is on the Sparrow
     By Civilla Durfee Martin, Sing His Praise
Why should I feel discouraged?
    Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely,
    And long for heav’n and home
When Jesus is my portion?
    My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow,
    And I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
    And I know He watches me.
Chorus: I sing because I’m happy;
    I sing because I’m free;
For His eye is on the sparrow,
    And I know He watches me.


No comments: