Friday, August 28, 2009

Song of Solomon The Rose of Sharon

I am the Rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.
Song of Solomon 2:1

In the land of Israel, Sharon is the coastal plain just south of Mount Carmel. Christ is often compared into the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys—common flowers of the field. This expresses His presence with us. There are songs about Christ as the type of the Rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys. It has brought a close relationship between me and Christ when I sang these songs to Him, ‘Sweet Jesus’ and ‘The Lily of the Valley.’ It just reminds me of what Christ is to me and you.

Sweet Jesus
Sweet Jesus, sweet Jesus, What a wonder You are,
You’re brighter than the morning star;
You’re fairer, much fairer,
Than the lily that grows by the way side,
Precious, more precious than gold.
You’re like the rose of Sharon,
You’re the fairest of the fair,
You are all my heart could e’er desire;
Sweet Jesus, sweet Jesus, What a wonder You are,
You’re precious, more precious than gold.
[Words and Music by Paul Goodwin]

The Lily of the Valley
I have found a friend in Jesus, He’s everything to me;
He’s the fairest of ten thousand to my soul;
The Lily of the Valley, in Him alone I see
All I need to cleanse and make me fully whole.
In sorrow He’s my comfort, in trouble He’s my stay;
He tells me every care on Him to roll.
He’s the Lily of the Valley, the bright and morning Star;
He’s the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.
[Lyrics: Charles W. Fry; Music: William S. Hays]

No comments: