Friday, August 7, 2009

II Chronicles Greater Power 2

There is greater power with us than with him (2 Chronicles 32:7b).

This is a story about Sennacherib, the king of Assyria attacking Judah and the city of Jerusalem. How the people of Jerusalem reacted to this frightening situation and how King Hezekiah respond to the people through the theme that impressed me greatly, “There is greater power with us than with him.” (2 Chronicles 32:7b) Then Sennacherib sent his letters to discourage King Hezekiah from fighting against him and his huge army, and to surrender to King Sennacherib. King Hezekiah of Judah turned to God for help and his prayer impressed me because he recognize who God was and know that God was All-Powerful God. God answered his prayers and told him what He will do. He sent an angel and killed 185,000 enemies who went against the city of Jerusalem.

What this mean to me?
We kept hearing about so many things going on in the United States that can be very distressing. Reading the story about how King Hezekiah turned to God and said prayer to Him, really encouraged me and gave me hope that God in the past was and still is the same God of today. God did work a miracle for Jerusalem and defeated the army of Sennacherib the king of Assyria who had insulted the God of Israel. Sennacherib did not believe in a miracle of God because he had defeated all the nations included north of Israel and Samaria. When it came to Jerusalem, Sennacherib was so sure, he could win the battle and defeat Hezekiah’s God. Surprised, he didn’t.

Satan still uses such similar ways on God’s children. Satan tells us that when we are in great need, we should not expect or seek a miracle from God. Have you ever felt like when troubles come into our lives and circumstances seem out of control, what should we do? Like Hezekiah did—draw near to God in fervent and trusting prayer.

Heavenly Father, I thank You for this story that you are still the same God, yesterday, today and forever. This story reminds me of who You are; the Possessor of heavens and earth. When I hear the distressing news going on around the world, I will lift my eyes toward heaven and believing that You are in charge of everything that is going on. I ask for peace in my heart in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!

No comments: