Thursday, December 11, 2014

My People, A Remnant 12/10-12

Jeremiah 31:1 NIRV, "At that time I will be the God of all of the tribes of Israel," announces the Lord. "And they will be my people." 

Let us read on to Jeremiah 31:2-3 with New International Reader's Version:
2) The Lord says, "Some of my people will live through everything their enemies do to them. They will find help in the desert. I will come to give peace and rest to Israel." 3) The Lord appeared to us in the past. He said, "I have loved you with a love that lasts forever. I have kept on loving you with faithful love.

The verse 2 has a history about these people that are remnant found in Jeremiah 31:7 "... O Lord, save thy people, the remnant of Israel." You see the word, "remnant" often in the Bible especially Paul in Roman 9:27, "... a remnant shall be saved." Also in Roman 11:5, "... a remnant according to the election of grace." Remnant means a surviving usually small part (remnants of a great civilization) and something that remains or is left over.

These people are the remnant from all the families of Israel who would return from the captivity. Many were carried away by the Assyrians in 722 b.c., and others by the Babylonians in 605, 597, and 586 b.c. God would bring them back because of His everlasting love for His people. 

In this chapter was about God promised the restoration of Israel and God's people would again dwell together under His blessing. God remembered His covenant with Abraham and with Israel. Israel would have renewed joy, peace, prosperity, and fellowship in the Lord.

Jeremiah reveals that God would make a new and better covenant with His people that would include spiritual power to obey His commandments. In KJV, Jeremiah 31:3b has been my favorite verse: "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee." 

Inspiration: I asked God to give me a verse for Manna this morning. I opened Jeremiah 31:1-3 and I was inspired that God wants to tell you that He loves you with a love that will last forever. He wants to continue to show you His loving kindness. I learned about the history of Israel that many were killed and there were a small group that still loves God. God encouraged them that His love is forever. His kindness is forever. 

So let us trust God today! 

SONG: I HAVE LOVED THEE
I loved thee with an everlasting love.
I loved thee with an everlasting love.
My love is so big, and My love is so deep.
And I loved thee with an everlasting love. 
(Inspired by Dorothy Callies)

No comments: