Friday, July 25, 2014

Wounded or Broken? (7/25-27)

         Wounded or Broken? – A Letter from Robert B. Fort, Chairman of UEC

There is ample opportunity to be wounded in ministry (as I am sure you are aware) and most ministers have been wounded deeply at least once, if not many times. Sometimes we who desire to minister healing to others are ourselves the walking wounded. Prov. 18:14 says, “The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?”

So what is the difference being wounded and being broken? “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise” (Psalm 51:17). Allow me to share an article with you I believe will minister to your heart.

                                                WOUNDED OR BROKEN?

“Humility, daily dying to self and the world, giving or ourselves – this is a timely word, for greed is the god of this age.  Personal gain and security have consumed our hearts.  Glorifying self is popular even in the church – success has replaced humility. We have drifted so far from the cross! Too often we’re not so much broken as we are wounded.

Here’s a comparison between being broken and being wounded:

When wounded, I focus on myself and on my inner pain.
When broken, I focus on the cross and on Jesus. My pain is secondary.
When wounded, I find it difficult to forgive.
When broken, I accept God’s mercy toward me and, in gratitude, I extend it freely to others.
When wounded, I am too self-absorbed to see others’ need.
When broken, I’m sensitive to others. (Phil.2:3-4)
When wounded, I am self-protecting, avoiding vulnerability (getting hurt).
When broken, I want the best for others, willingly sacrificing for them. (1 Thess. 2:8)
When wounded, “I don’t want to hurt anymore!”
When broken, my goal is Jesus at all costs (Phil. 3:7-10), even if further pain is involved.

Brokenness has to do with giving not getting – It has to do with embracing sacrifice – with emptying ourselves and tenderness before God.

May ministry never become simply a profession or way of life.
I pray it will be a reflection of our character and life with Jesus. Let’s keep it real.”
                                   --Gary Grogan, Lead Pastor, Stone Creek Church, Urbana, IL

And to all of that I say, “Amen,”
United Evangelical Churches
Robert B. Fort
Chairman

[Permission to use his letter and to share with partners in prayer and Fresh Manna Blog]

No comments: