Monday, July 7, 2014

A Refuge in Trouble Times (7/7)

Verse for the Day by Dorothy Callies

Psalm 9:9 “The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed. A refuge in times of trouble.” [A refuge is a shelter or protection from danger or distress (painful situation)]

Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior, my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my strong hold.  Psalm 37:39 The Lord saves the godly, He is their fortress in times of trouble.  Psalm 59:9 You are my strength, I wait for You to rescue me, for you, O God, are my place of safety.

David’s prayer asked God’s protection was from Saul who wanted to kill him. So God was with David wherever He was. It was a long time before Saul was finally gone through the battle of Philistines. So David was able to come out from hiding and He became a king of Israel. God had His timing and plan for David.

Psalm 59:16 But as for me, I will sing about Your power. I will shout with joy each morning because of your unfailing love. For You have been my refuge, a place of safety in the day of distress.

I was thinking of Kim Murphy of what she was going through. Kim said, “My town was hit by a tornado, it wasn't a normal one with the tunnel. It's called a F1 due to high winds and this does as much damage as the tunnel kind.” Our prayers goes out to her. Still we quote Psalm 59:16 that God have been our refuge, a place of safety is in God, in our day of distress. (Read Kim’s news in #22 Prayer Request List).

The word, distress means [noun] great suffering of body or mind: PAIN, ANGUISH 2: a painful situation: MISFORTUNE 3: a condition of danger or desperate need like a ship in distress. [verb] 1: to cause to experience painful difficulties 2: to cause to worry or be troubled: UPSET.

The word, distress is an interesting word and I was curious about this topic in technology Bible and it had 53 references in distress. One impressed me was devotional, “Relief from Distress” Psalm 4:1, NLT “Answer me when I call, O God who declares me innocent. Take away my distress. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.”

Paul accepted distresses for Christ’s sake. Paul said, “For when I am weak, then am I strong.” [2 Cor. 12:10] Paul said, “... we were comforted over you in our affliction and distress by your faith” [1 Thess. 3:7]. Yet Paul held on to Christ in spite of all things he went through. Paul was comforted when he knew his Christian friends prayed for him.

Prayer: Thank You, God, for Your protecting love. Help us to be able to face those times when we must suffer. In Jesus’ name. So in time like this would be a good song to sing,  
“Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.”

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of the earth
     will grow strangely dim –
In the light of His glory and grace.
   (Inspiring Choruses)

No comments: