Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Lord is Our Shield

March 4-7, 2014 – The Lord is Our Shield – Bread Verse Card by Dorothy Callies

Psalm 3:3, KJV “But thou O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter of mine head.” NIV “But you, O Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts my head high.”

            The word, “shield” refers to God’s protection where God is Abraham’s shield (ref. Gen. 15:1), and where He is Israel’s shield (Deut. 33:29). The word, shield interests me to go further study and it seems to visualize what God, as a shield, is like for us.
            The shield means protection from danger that tends to destroy us, so God is our protector, making sure that Satan has his limit. NLT Psalm 28:7 gives a good definition of shield, “The Lord is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trust in Him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”
            2 Samuel 22:3 “The God of my rock; in Him will I trust: He is my shield …” KJV. David fought against the Philistines and won the victories. David sang psalm of praise from 2 Samuel 22:1-51 which is also in Psalm 18:1-50. David visualized God as a rock, a shield, the (horn) power of salvation, the high tower, a refuge, and a savior (V.3).
            Psalm 84:9, “Behold, O God our shield ...” Ps. 84:11, “For the Lord God is a sun and shield …” Psalm 115:9, “O Israel, trust thou in the Lord: He is their help and their shield.” Proverbs 30:5, “Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him.”
            Even Paul mentioned in Ephesians 6:16, “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” John quoted, “Because everyone who is a child of God conquers the world—our faith. So the one who wins against the world is the person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God” 1 John 5:4-5 NCV.
            Most of the attacks come against faith, in what we believe. At this time, we are facing the changing of the weather that has never happened before and diseases in our bodies and some unexpected deaths in families and friends. We don’t feel safe and we don’t feel protected. This is where faith tested us like Peter said, “That the trial of your faith … be tried with fire …” meaning these troubles come to prove that your faith is pure and strong. Your faith will bring you praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ comes. We have not seen Christ, but still we love Him. We cannot see Him now, but we believe in Him. (Ref: 1Peter 1:7-9)
            God is our shield of faith. He’ll see us through the trouble times. We cannot see Him, but we believe in God as our shield in time like this. I can’t think of any better song than to sing this: I Need Jesus. God, “the lifter of mine head” uses the song to lift my head high. So let us trust our God today!

          Song: I Need Jesus
I need Jesus, I need a friend like Him,
A friend to guide when the paths of life are dim;
I need Jesus when foes (enemies) my soul assail (attack);
Alone I know I can but fail, so I need Jesus.
Chorus:
I need Jesus (with me), I need Jesus (always),
I need Jesus every day;
Need Him in the sunshine hour,
Need Him when the storm-clouds low’r;
Every day along my way, Yes, I need Jesus
(George O. Webster, Sing His Praise)

No comments: