Monday, March 11, 2013

Remember Jesus Christ

2 Timothy 2:8
“Remember Jesus Christ. He is from the family of David. After Jesus died, he was raised from death. This is the Good News that I tell people” (English Version for the Deaf).

The gospel proclaims the humanity and deity of Jesus Christ. He was the Seed of David: Man. He is the risen Lord: God. Now He is a glorified Christ. NLT Repeat this: “Never forget that Jesus Christ was a man born into King David’s family and that he was raised from the dead. This is the Good News I preach.” Why was this important for Paul to mention this verse?

False teachers were a problem in Ephesus. At the heart of false teaching was not correct in the view of Christ. In Timothy’s day many false teachers claimed that Christ was divine but not human—God but not man. These days we often hear that Jesus was human but not divine—man but not God. Either view destroys the good news that Jesus Christ has taken our sins on himself and has reconciled us to God. In this verse, Paul firmly states that Jesus is fully man, “born into King David’s family” and fully God, “raised from the dead.” This is an important doctrine for all Christians (QuickVerse Life Application Bible Notes). [Ref: Acts 20:29,30; 1Tim.1:3-11]

 This devotion really opened my eyes to realize that there are some people who want to destroy the good news about Jesus Christ. No wonder it is so important to study God’s Word and know where we stand in our belief in Christ. Jesus said, “If you continue in My Word, then you are my disciples.” This led me to remember the song, Blessed Redeemer.

Song: Blessed Redeemer Chorus:
Blessed Redeemer! Precious Redeemer!
Seems now I see Him on Calvary’s tree;
Wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading,
Blind and unheeding, dying for me!
(Lyrics: Avis Burgeson Christiansen, Sing His Praise)

1. Up Calvary’s mountain one dreadful morn,
Walked Christ my Savior weary and worn,
Facing for sinners death on the cross
That He might save them from endless loss. (Then Chorus)

2. “Father forgive them!” thus did He pray,
E’en while His life-blood flowed fast away;
Praying for sinners while in such woe,
No one but Jesus ever loved so. (Then Chorus)

3. O how I love Him, Savior and Friend,
How can my praises ever find end!
Thro’ years unnumbered (many) on heaven’s shore,
My tongue shall praise Him forevermore. (Then Chorus)

No comments: