Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Yoke Is Easy

Matthew 11:30 “For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light” (NLT). 

A yoke is a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen. It is attached to a piece of equipment the oxen are to pull.

A person may be carrying heavy burdens of:
1) sin,
2) excessive demands of religious leaders,
3) oppression and persecution, or
4) weariness in the search of God.
[Ref: Matt.23:4; Acts15:10].

Jesus frees people from all these burdens. The rest that Jesus promises is love, healing, and peace with God, not the end of all labor. A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil into spiritual productivity and purpose. [QVLAB notes]

What does this means to me? I visualized Jesus and me; yoke together like two oxen were yoked together. Usually, there is a special fit of yoke for each ox. So Jesus knows what fits me best and He made my burden light. He does not want me to feel like a “whipped slavery” and forced us to do something for Him. He wants me to know that He will carry the heavy burdens so my burden would be lighter.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord for being so thoughtful and caring. Thank You for giving me a better view of who You really are. You are a gentle Savior, and a gentle burden-bearer. Thank You for teaching me to work with You. O how I love You for this. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen!

Song: Come Unto Me
Come unto Me; I will give you rest;
Take My yoke upon you, Hear Me and be blest;
I am meek and lowly, come and trust My might;
Come, My yoke is easy, And My burden’s light.
(Charles P. Jones, Sing His Praise)

May the Lord bless you!

Dorothy

No comments: