Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Strong Athlete

2 Timothy 2:5 “Follow the Lord’s rules for doing his work, just as an athlete either follows the rules or is disqualified and wins no prize” (NLT).

Paul encouraged Timothy who was a minister for Christ to be like a strong athlete. What is an athlete? The athlete person who takes part in exercises that requires to have physical skill, endurance, and strength. Like athletes, they must train hard and follow the rules before they get into the games.

The King James Version quoted: “And if a man also strives for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.” What interests me was the phrase, “strive for masteries.” The athlete is strong in discipline and self-denial. The picture is that of a professional athlete, a person who has dedicated his life—all that he is and has—to the contest. The Christian is not to be an amateur in life; he is to be professional. An amateur is a person who engages in something without experience or skill. It is like a person who takes part in something for pleasure. (Part from QVLAB notes)

When we “enter the Christian contest,” our official is the Lord Jesus Christ, the very Son of God Himself. How do we follow the Lord’s rules? Simply, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ; study His Word, read your Bible and pray every day. Be filled with the Spirit and allow the Holy Spirit to help us to live for Christ and become more like Him. It takes disciplined and hard work to keep growing in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I like what Paul said from 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 “Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I, myself might be disqualified” (NLT).

You may wonder, what does this really mean to me? When I studied this part of the verse about the athlete, this helps me to understand why I get up early in the morning to take time with Him and His word, “Manna.” After reading Paul’s epistle and the word, “discipline” takes on a new meaning for me. It just felt like “a growing pain,” but I felt good because I understood what it takes to follow our “Commander” who loves us and gave Himself for us. Oh, the song just reminds me to sing this.

Song: It Will Be Worth It All
It will be worth it all when we see Jesus,
Life’s trials will seem so small, When we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrow will erase,
So bravely run the race, Till we see Christ.
(Lyrics: Esther Kerr Rusthoi, Sing His Praise)

May the Lord touch your heart today!

Dorothy

No comments: