Friday, March 1, 2013

Be Strong in Grace

2 Timothy 2:1 “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Jesus Christ” (KJV).

Grace, the source of strength is found in the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul was facing death and Paul knew where to find strength, it is found in our Lord Jesus. Timothy would soon have to take over Paul’s place. Soon Timothy would take the responsibility for spreading the gospel across the earth. Timothy was like a son to Paul and they were very close.

Paul was concerned about Timothy. Could Timothy stand up under the pressure? Could he handle all the problems and circumstances that would arise? There was only one hope for Timothy, just as there is only one hope for any of us. Timothy needed an unlimited strength, a strength that could drive him to conquer any circumstance and to work at any task until it was accomplished. That strength could come from only one source and that strength is the strength of God.

Grace means the undeserved favor and blessings of God. We do not deserve the favor and blessings of God, but God loves us. So God has provided the way for us to receive His favor and blessings—the greatest way possible—through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. We can receive the blessings of God through the very Son of God Himself. And this includes the strength of God, strength to conquer and overcome all trials and to do the work that God called us to do.

Paul encouraged Timothy to be strong, but not strong in his own strength, but strong in the grace (favor) of Christ. Let us look up to Christ, no to ourselves or to other people. Let's put our trust completely in Christ, His power and His strength alone.Paul often quoted, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me” (Phil. 4:13).

Song: He Leadeth Me
1.He leadeth me! O blessed thought!
O words with heavenly comfort fraught (fully)!
Whatever I do, where ever I be,
Still ‘tis God’s hand that leadeth me!
Chorus:
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me:
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.
(Lyrics: Joseph Henry Gilmore, Sing His Praise)

Oh that grace of God that would never lose its power in us!

Dorothy

No comments: