Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Suffering 10/21/17

21 October 2017 – The Suffering – Manna by Dorothy Callies

There were so much covering about the “suffering of Job” from the devotional booklet.  So I select a few paragraphs that impressed me. I had pondered about what Tony went through.  Even though I have seen a frequent miracle of improvement in Tony’s body yet I wondered why Tony has to suffer, what I called, “a growing pain?” 

For me, it was a trying time to work with Tony and I questioned why God allowed “suffering” among the other elders as well.  It seemed that God had read my thoughts and must have led me to find this booklet that talked about the suffering. It showed me that God cares and He wants me to find the answers to it. I would like to quote this:

“The why of his suffering remains a mystery to Job, as ours often does to us. First, suffering is not always a consequence (result) of direct personal sin, but it is always the result of living in a fallen world.  None of us are exempt (kept) from the effects (influence) of that fallenness (Adam’s fall).

“Second, suffering may be undeserved (not worthy), but it is never purposeless. Job says it beautifully: “He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold” (Job 23:10).  God uses even undeserved suffering to refine us and to produce in us a growing likeness to Jesus, all for His glory and for the good of others.” [Note adapted from True North by Gary Inrig, published by Discovery House@2009].

So the mystery of God’s sovereign purposes of suffering was . . . to refine us . . . and to produce in us . . . a growing likeness to Jesus . . . all for His glory . . . and for the good of others . . . What impressed me? The suffering is never purposeless.  In another word, suffering has its purpose.  God has a purpose in the suffering itself.  Again, what we all suffered is NEVER PURPOSELESS.  Meaning . . . it is not all for nothing . . .

Speaking of ‘a growing likeness to Jesus’ . . . reminds me of Roman 8:29 and 30 that God planned ahead that they would be like His Son.  Does this include the suffering . . . ? Again, I thought about ‘the road to Emmaus.’  Here Jesus explained that the prophets said that Christ must suffer these things before He enters His glory.

The word suffering has a meaning. It is to feel the pain, endure the pain, and to experience something unpleasant.  It is to bear the loss or damage that was done.  So here is Peter’s word of encouragement, “Be happy that you are sharing in Christ’s suffering …” (1Pet.4:13).

Dorothy: When I see Tony’s suffering, I began to appreciate the Scriptures much more about the suffering that I had not thought of it before. Somehow, the study of the Scriptures about the suffering has comforted my heart. Maybe you have questions about suffering in some things and wondered about why you suffered. I pray that this Manna may give you some answers.  I pray that God gives you the strength to endure the suffering and remember that to be like Jesus, we also shall suffered with Him.  And there’s song that I remember.

       Song: When We See Christ
       (Esther Kerr Rusthoi, Sing His Praise)

It will be worth it all when we see Jesus;
Life’s trials will seem so small when we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrow will erase;
So bravely run the race till we see Christ.

Truly, it will be worth all and may God comforts you in time of your suffering.

Dorothy


No comments: