Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Taking Risks 9/19-21

19-21 September 2016 - Taking Risks – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Acts 15:25-26 “. . . Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (NKJV).

King James Version quoted this: “Barnabas and Paul, men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”  The word hazard is an interesting word to me. I have not noticed it when reading through the Bible.  It is through the topic that I could learn from deeper studies and be blessed with God’s word.   

Hazard means a source of danger like <a fire hazard>.  Risk means possibility of loss or injury. Danger means the place of not being protected from injury, harm, or evil. Other meaning of the word danger, hazard, peril, risk mean a threat of loss, injury, or death.

Risk suggests danger that may result from a chance freely taken like <willing to take the risks that come with flying a plane>.  So we see that Barnabas and Paul were chosen to work among the Gentiles.  Paul as a missionary in the Roman Empire, faced hazards that resulted in shipwrecks, beatings, persecution, and imprisonment (2Cor. 11:22-30).

God had been blessing the Gentiles and He opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. But there were conflict over the circumcision that Paul and Barnabas had faced the group of men who believed in legalism, the law or custom of Moses that you must be circumcised first before you accept Jesus Christ and be saved.   

Paul strongly disagreed and often he faced the arguments with those men who were against him very strongly.  Paul took the chance to preach that “you are saved because of the work of Christ and that is grace.  It is not of circumcision or the works that saved you.  It is by putting your faith in Christ and you are saved.” Paul was more than willing to take these risks to make Christ known.

Many believers take risks to spread Jesus’ good news. My prayer is that God will provide His Spirit to empower us and His Word to make the message clear that we are saved by His grace, not of our works (Eph. 2:8-9).  Ask God for the courage to speak up and witness for the Savior.  Taking the risk will be well worth it.  This song is a heart-loving prayer to Jesus.  I believe Holy Spirit will inspires you and you will be blessed through this song.

Song: I Will Serve Thee
I will serve Thee because I love Thee,
You have given life to me;
I was nothing before you found me,
You have given life to me.
Heartache, broken pieces,
Ruined lives are why you died on Calvary;
Your touch was what I longed for,
You have given life to me.
   (By William J. & Gloria Gaither,
                Country Western Gospel Favorites)

No comments: