Friday, September 23, 2016

Fragrant Living 9/22-25

22-24 September 2016 - Fragrant Living – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Philippians 4:18 NKJV, “I am full, having received … the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma … well pleasing to God.”

I am thankful that God has given me the sense of smell so we can enjoy the many fragrances of life. Some mornings I go out for fresh air to breathe. I think of red smelling roses that I bought for a friend in the hospital.  Sometimes, I walked and smell the fresh-cut grass.    

Fragrant (adjective) means having a sweet or agreeable smell. Fragrance (a noun) means a sweet, pleasant, and often flowery or fruity smell.  Fragrance has the same meaning of aroma, usually pleasant smell like the aroma of red roses. 

What was Paul trying to say to the Christians who lived in Philippi?  The Philippians church was a missionary church that ministered to Paul’s needs during his travels. They were faithful in supporting Paul as a missionary in his work for the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

From verses 15 through 17 explained of Paul’s traveling that no other churches has ever supported him with giving.  The Philippians church was the only one that helped Paul with his personal needs.  When he was in other town, they sent someone to meet his personal needs. What does this mean to Paul?

Paul says that our generous acts of love toward others are like a “sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God.”  Paul says that our intentional act of reaching out to meet someone’s need actually fills the throne room of God with a fragrance that brings pleasure to Him.  Imagine that!

KJV quotes, “an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God.” We can please God with the aromas that rise from being a blessing to others! So when we give support to a faithful missionary, it is like an offering was brought to God. 

Jesus said that what is done for one of the least of His brethren is done for the Lord Himself (Matt. 25:40). We can please God with the aromas that rise from being a blessing to others!  So let us be a blessing to someone today!

Song: Make Me a Blessing
     (Ira Bishop Wilson, Sing His Praise)
Give as ‘twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.
Chorus:
Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing;
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

May the Lord bless you real good today!

Dorothy  

No comments: