Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Hidden Life (7/20-21)

20-21 July 2015 - The Hidden Life – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Colossians 3:2-3 NLT: “Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth. For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.”

KJV, “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.” Paul, the apostle wrote this letter to the Church of Colosse and he quoted, “For you died” sounds really brutal, but what did Paul meant? He means that we should have little desire for the world as a dead person would have. The Christian’s real home is “Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then we shall also appear with Him in glory” (Col.3:4). [Brutal means being cruel and inhuman.]  

What does it means that a believer’s life is “hidden with Christ”? Hidden means “concealed and safe.” Christ gives us power to live for Him now. The only way people can know that we have Christ inside of our hidden lives is by our everyday life style. [Conceal means to put out of sight like “hide a treasure.”]

The story about George MacDonald who lived in Scotland was a very intellectually gifted young man. His friends in university thought very highly of him. George had an academic career to look forward to. But when he learned of his aging father who could not handle the family farm, he return home to take care of his father and to take over the farm. His friends lamented what they saw as a waste of his talents.

But George MacDonald who wrote a poem titled, “The Hidden Life” called, “ordinary deeds” and “simple forms (or ways) of human helpfulness” that involved with everyday activity such as he was taking care of his father and the farm. His friends thought it was wasteful, but God … wastes … nothing ... George’s ordinary deeds was a simple human helpfulness, although hidden, has eternal rewards.

The apostle Paul challenged the Colossians: “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,” and “do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ” (Col.3:17,23-24 NKJV). There’s a song called, “I Will Serve Thee” after this prayer for you and me.

Oh, dear Lord Jesus, may I be willing to let my life be hidden in You and be ready to speak a word of kindness to those who are weary. May Your Spirit touch my words that will enrich and refresh others. Thank You, Lord Jesus for reminding me how important it is to serve others as we serve You. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen!

Song: I Will Serve Thee
I will serve Thee because I love Thee,
You have given life to me;
I was nothing before You found me,
You have given life to me.
Heart-aches, broken pieces,
Ruined lives are why you died on Calvary;
Your touch was what I longed for,
You have given life to me.
 (William J & Gloria Gaither, 100 Country Western Favorites)

No comments: