Wednesday, July 1, 2015

On a Hill Far Away (7/1-2)

01-02 July 2015 - On a Hill Far Away – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Luke 23:33 “And when they come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified Him …”

On Monday morning, June 22nd Tony and I was at coffee shop reading devotion and what impressed me was the title called, “On a Hill Far away.” And suddenly we remembered the song, The Old Rugged Cross and we began to sing together. Oh, that touched our hearts to remember this old loved song by many. While we were singing, we sensed the Spirit of Christ touching our hearts, healing …

Song: The Old Rugged Cross
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
But I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
Chorus:
So I cherish the old rugged cross …
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true,
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away
Where His glory forever I’ll share.
Chorus:
So I cherish the old rugged cross …
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.
(George Bennard, Sing His Praise)

I did some research on “Calvary” and find it interesting to share this: In Zechariah 9:11, “Because of the covenant I made with you, sealed with blood …” The commentary gave information that “Covenants in the Old Testament times were sealed or confirmed with blood, much as we would sign our name to a contract. The old covenant was sealed by the blood of sacrifices, pointing ahead to the blood of Christ would shed at Calvary, His “signature” that confirmed God’s new covenant with His people.”

Another commentary on “They crucified Him.” The crucifixion and the death of Jesus are the core (the most important part) and foundation of God’s plan of redemption. Jesus, who had never sinned, died in the place of sinful humanity (people). By His crucifixion the penalty for sin was paid and the work of Satan was finished. Now all the people may turn to God in repentance and faith in Christ and receive forgiveness, and salvation from sin, and eternal life.” [References found in 1 Cor. 1:23-24; Rom. 3:25].

My heart was touched to remember Calvary whenever I take the Communion at home. Communion reminds me of Jesus’ word, “Remember Me” and the “Calvary.” The healing of His blood flows “on a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross.” 

No comments: