Wednesday, July 22, 2015

All Things (7/24-26)

24-26 July 2015 - All Things – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me.”

What did Paul means when he said, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me?” The Philippians Church was concerned about Paul’s personal needs that he often lack things when he traveled. Paul thanked the Church for their gifts to him, however, he wanted to encourage them the words of comfort.

From NLT, Philippians 4:10 through 14, Paul wrote, “How grateful I am, and how I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but for a while you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11) Not that I was ever (always) in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. 12) I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

13) For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. 14) But even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.” I would like to continue reading and sharing what Paul said that impressed and inspired me very much.

From NLT, Phil. 4:15-17, “As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I brought the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16) Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. 17) I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. What I want is for you to receive a well-earned reward because of your kindness.”

I want to stop here for a moment. This reminds me of what I wrote on Manna, Little Things (July 22-23). The Philippians Church may have felt that it was only a little things that they could help Paul with his needs. Paul wanted them to know that he appreciate their kindness of helping him and that God will reward them for their kindness. To them, it may be a little things, but the Church may be surprised how much God would bless them. Let’s read on.

From NLT, Phil. 4:18-19, “At the moment I have all I need—more than I need! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They (the gifts) are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable to God and pleases Him. 19) And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.”

Even though Paul, at times lack the needs, he was thrilled that the Church gave him gifts more than enough. However, Paul still depends on Christ to strengthen him and meet his needs, the same God will supply all our needs. Let’s sing.

Song: Jesus Is All I Need
All that I need He will always be;
All that I need till His face I see;
All that I need through eternity,
Jesus is all I need.  
(James Rowe)

No comments: