Monday, June 30, 2014

David's Prayer to Understand God's Word (6/30)

Psalm 119:34 “Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.”

I just notice this topic, David's prayer to understand His word. NCV seems clear: “Help me understand, so I can keep Your teaching, obeying them with all my heart.” So I did some research and I was so inspired that there were quite a bit of them. So I want to share them.

Psalm 119:27 “Make me to understand the way of thy precepts (a command or principle intended as a general rule of action): so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.” Ps. 119:73 “Thy hands have made me and fashioned (shape or form) me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.”

Ps. 119:125 “I am Thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know Thy testimonies (history of God’s past wonders).” Ps. 119:130 “The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple (people who lack education).” Ps. 119:144 “The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.”

Finally, a prayer for understanding His Word from Psalm 119:169-176.

“Let my cry come near before Thee, O Lord give me understanding according to Thy word. 170) Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to Thy word. 171) My lips shall utter praise, when Thou hast taught me Thy statues (God’s likeness). 

172) My tongue shall speak of Thy word: for all Thy commandments are righteousness (right way of living). 173) Let Thine hand help me; for I have chosen Thy precepts (laws or rules to follow). 174) I have longed (hungered) for Thy salvation (deliverance), O Lord; and Thy law is my delight. (I am happy when I follow You.)

175) Let my soul live, and it shall praise Thee; and let Thy judgments (laws) help me. 176) I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Thy servant; for I do not forget Thy commandments. [End of reading KJV on Psalm 119:169-176]

David, the psalmist here may simply be acknowledging that David was prone (easily) to go astray from being guided by God’s Word. These may be why David had wanted the prayer for understanding God’s Word. David prayed to go against the enemies who would tried to influence David to be lazy in God’s Word. David loved God's Word.

Now we are interceding against our spiritual enemies who tried to make us too lazy to read or study the Bible. We might become too involved with activities that might lead us astray from God’s daily guidance with His Word.  God help us! Let us not forget Him and His Word!

No comments: