Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fear Not, Thou Shall Not Be Ashamed

Isaiah 54:4-5
KJV: Fear not, for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more. V5 For thy Maker is thine husband; and the Lord of hosts is His name; and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall be called.
NCV: Don’t be afraid, because you will not be ashamed. Don’t be embarrassed, because you will not be disgraced. You will forget the shame you felt earlier; you will not remember the shame you felt when you lost your husband. V5 The God who made you is like your husband. His name is the Lord All-Powerful. The Holy One of Israel is the one who saves you. He is called the God of all the earth.

Dorothy: God was speaking to Israel who was going through some troubled time. They had done evil and worship other gods that God wasn’t happy about. God punished Israel for their sins and allowed the enemies to capture Jerusalem and many people were captive and taken to different countries. They came back home to rebuild Jerusalem. In 70 A.D. Jerusalem was destroyed again. The people of Israel were scattered all over the world. Years later, the Jews from all over the world started coming back to their homeland. It was a time Israel felt ashamed what they had done. God promised a future Messiah and through Him, there would be hope for Jerusalem. Messiah would rule the whole earth some day. Israel will forget their shame. They will realize that all things were meant for good like Romans 8:28 says, ‘We know that all things work together for good to them that love God…’ Is it hard to imagine that someday, Israel would not even remember what they had done? God wants to give a new beginning, a new start, a future new heaven and new earth. What more could Israel ask for? They will rejoice forever.

Have you ever felt ashamed and wonder if you would ever forget what you have done in the past? We might say: I wish I had known about this mistake and I would not have to do this at all. Now I feel ‘doomed’ because it isn’t the same as before. I wish I was a better person so I would always do things right. What would God say to us about this?

“Fear not, for you will not be ashamed. Don’t feel confused why things happened to you recently. Don’t be afraid because you are ashamed of what was happening to you. Don’t be embarrassed about your past and you will not be ashamed. I am working inside of you to be like My Son, Jesus. Like Romans 8:28 says, ‘We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.’ Behold, I made all things new. You will not remember all of the past. All things are under the blood of the Lamb who gave Himself for you. You are forgiven. You are washed. You are cleaned. You are in the right standing with Me because the Lamb has given you a robe of righteousness. You need to trust Me in all the word that I have spoken to you. Be at peace with Me. Love Me and Trust Me with all your heart. I have loved you with an everlasting love.”

Song: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Sweetest name I know,
Fill my every longing, Keeps me singing as I go.
Verse:
There’s within my heart a melody (song)
Jesus whispers sweet and low,
‘Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still,
In all of life’s ebb (troubles) and flow.
[Lyrics & Music: Luther B. Bridgers]