Friday, September 5, 2008

Fear Not, I Am Thy Shield


Genesis 15:1

KJV: The Word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying ‘Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.’

NCV: The Lord spoke his word to Abram in a vision: “Abram, don’t be afraid. I will defend you, and I will give you a great reward.”

AMP: The word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, ‘Fear not, Abram, I am your shield, your abundant compensation, and your reward shall be exceedingly great.’

Dorothy:
Abram’s name was later changed to Abraham is found in Genesis 17:5. Abraham was in the battle with the kings and he had overcome them. After his battle with the kings, Abraham became troubled and fearful. God came to Abraham in a vision to help him feel assured that God was Abraham’s shield and reward. Abraham went on to talk to the Lord about having no child to carry on to his heir. But God had promised him that he would have a son to carry on. Even though it was impossible for Abraham and Sarah to have a son in their old age, yet Abraham believed God.

Genesis 15:6 in NCV: Abram believed the Lord. And the Lord accepted Abram’s faith, and that faith made him right with God.

Abraham’s kind of faith that he had trusted God completely even though all odds are against Abraham: his old age and Sarah’s. Abraham’s heart toward God was an enduring trust, obedience and submission. This is the kind of faith that pleased God for without faith, it is impossible to please Him. We who come to God must believe that He lives and He is real. We are encouraged to believe that God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. It is found in Hebrews 11:6.

What does this means to me?
I see on television so many things that are going on: hurricanes, weather changing, more violence on TV than ever before, people seems restless, and competing for president position in USA, can make us fearful and wonder what future holds for us. God has words for all these things. The Lord is speaking to us: “Fear not, I am your shield, your protector, and I am your great reward. I will reward you for trusting Me with all your heart. Things will happen for you when you trust Me and love Me with all your heart.”

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank You for reassurance that You are our shield and our rewarder. Thank You Lord for keeping our eyes only upon You. Keep our heart from becoming fearful. Change them to complete trusting in You. In Jesus’ Name, I pray. Amen!

Memorizing the song, ‘Trust in the Lord’ would be good to use again until you know by heart. I do this to help calm my deep troubled soul until my soul trust God completely.