Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fear Not, Peace Be Unto Thee

Daniel 10:19
KJV: And said, O man greatly beloved, FEAR NOT, PEACE BE UNTO THEE, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak for thou has strengthened me.

Daniel 10:18-21
NCV: The one who looked like a man touched me again and gave me strength. V19 He said, “Daniel, don’t be afraid. God loves you very much. Peace be with you. Be strong, now; be courageous.” When he spoke to me, I became stronger and said, “Master, speak , since you have given me strength.” V20 Then he said, “Daniel, do you know why I have come to you? Soon I must go back to fight against the prince of Persia. When I go, the prince of Greece will come, v21 but I must first tell you what is written in the Book of Truth. No one stands with me against these enemies except Michael, the angel ruling over your people.

Dorothy: First, we need to know who Daniel was. Daniel was very well educated and came from an upper-class educated family in Jerusalem. Daniel was probably a teenager when Jeremiah prophesied that God would allow enemies to come in and capture Jerusalem. The Israelites would be captive for 70 years at Babylon. Daniel was one of many who were taken captive by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon with his army. Daniel had a job in Babylon. He was to serve the King because Daniel had an excellent spirit in him and he was highly respected. The King was pleased with Daniel and in fact, enjoyed his company. He had several different kings who came and went since he had lived in Babylonia for a long time.

During Daniel’s free time, he would receive different kind of dreams which God was showing him about the future events. Interesting part was found in Daniel 7:15 “I, Daniel, was worried. The visions that went through my mind frightened me. I came near one of those standing there and asked what all this meant. So he told me and explained to me what these things meant…” Then there were more other visions that came to Daniel. Daniel 8:27 “I, Daniel, became very weak and was sick for several days after that vision. Then I got up and went back to work for the king, but I was very upset about the vision. I didn’t understand what it meant.” In Daniel 9:1-19 was Daniel’s prayer after he read the Scriptures about Jeremiah prophecy of Jerusalem’s ruins for seventy years.

Daniel was praying, confessing sins for himself and the people of Israel and praying for Jerusalem, God’s holy mountain. That was when Gabriel came to Daniel and said, “Daniel, I have come to give you wisdom and to help you understand. When you first started praying, an answer was given, and I came to tell you, because God loves you very much. So think about the message and understand the vision.” Gabriel went on to explain everything about the visions of the future. Daniel was strengthened to withstand all of the visions he had seen. Daniel had peace because he understood God’s plan for the future.

What does this means to me?
Few Deaf people have talked to me about how reading the Revelation was upsetting to them. They were worried and concerned about what was going to happen from now until then. I admitted I didn’t know what to say to them until I read the book of Daniel. I was surprised to learn that Daniel was very upset, even Daniel got sick when he saw some of the visions that probably scared him. Gabriel came to him and said, “Daniel, don’t be afraid. God loves you very much. Peace be with you. Be strong now; be courageous.” I believe God is saying to us the same thing. “Fear not, peace be unto thee. My child, don’t be afraid. I love you very much. Let the peace of God rule in your heart. Be strong and be brave. Trust Me.”