Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fear Not, I Am With Thee


Genesis 26:24

KJV: The Lord appeared unto him [Isaac] the same night, and said, ‘I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham’s sake.
NCV: The Lord appeared to him [Isaac] that night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Don’t be afraid, because I am with you. I will bless you and give you many descendants because of my servant Abraham.”

Dorothy:

There was a reason why the Lord appeared to Isaac and to say to him, “Fear not, for I am with thee.” After I read the chapter 26 of Genesis, it explained the troubles Isaac was having with “the neighbors.” There were famine and Isaac seeks help from Abimelech and he provided the land to Isaac. Isaac was able to sow a good crop and harvest was plentiful because the Lord had blessed him. Isaac became very wealthy and dig the wells again because his father, Abraham had digged several wells during his time. [Philistines had covered the wells with dirt.]

Abimelech was the king of the Philistines and he became worried because Isaac became stronger than him. He told Isaac to leave his place and go somewhere else. Isaac moved to the valley of Gerar and camped there. Every time they digged the wells, there were neighbors of herdmen who tried to take the wells from Isaac. Isaac had to move several times and dig another well. It can be very frustrated for Isaac and his herdmen who tried to take care of the animals that needed water from the wells. This was when Isaac became fearful of being “pushed around” by neighbors. Isaac wondered if he would ever stay in that land that God had promised him. God saw his fear and came to Isaac and comforted him by saying, “FEAR NOT, FOR I AM WITH THEE, AND WILL BLESS THEE, AND MULTIPLY THY SEED FOR MY SERVANT ABRAHAM’S SAKE.”

God appeared to Isaac and passed on to him the promises made with Abraham. Like his father, Isaac had to learn to live by the promises of God. This was an important part of the covenant promise which was the personal relationship with God described in the words, “I am with thee.” Finally, Isaac had peace with Abimelech when he saw how the Lord blessed Isaac. Isaac’s servants found another well and name it Shebah and name the city, Beersheba. Isaac trusted God.

What does this means?

This encourages me to know that when God was with Isaac and He says to me, “Fear not, for I am with thee.” God’s promise is for me and for you. This story should inspires us to trust God when we have problems. If God cares enough to calm Isaac’s fears, God cares enough to calm our fears also. Isn’t He wonderful?

Chorus:

Jesus knows all about our struggles;
He will guide till the day is done!
There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one! No not one!
[Lyrics: Johnson Oatman, Jr. Music: George C. Hugg]