Friday, June 27, 2008

What a Friend!

Song: What a Friend We Have in Jesus
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, (forget)
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
Take it to the Lord in prayer:
Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
[Words: Joseph Scriven;Music: Charles Coverse]

Jesus' Message: You are my friends.
John 15:12-17 New Century Version
12 This is is my command: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 The greatest love a person can show is to die for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know what his master is doing. But I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me; I chose you. And I gave you this work: to go and produce fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you anything you ask for in my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

Notes: Verse 16 GO AND PRODUCE FRUIT. All Christians are chosen "out of the world" to "bear fruit". This fruit-bearing refers to spiritual virtues, such as the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Gal.5:22-23-love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control and conversion of others to Christ.

Dorothy: Wow! This is a great inspiration from the Holy Spirit I have ever received. It touches my heart to understand what Jesus is saying about being a friend. Jesus called us 'friend' not a servant. So what is the meaning of the word, 'friend'? The dictionary define friend as a person who knows and likes another; a person who favors and supports; a person who belongs to the same side or group. Another close meaning may be like companion, supporter and advocate.

Jesus choose us to produce fruit that will last. That is nine fruits of the Spirit find in Gal. 5:22-23 so we have work to do, to allow this nine fruits to grow inside of us. The kingdom of God is inside of us, getting us ready for His coming. Oh, I pray for my friends in Christ to produce fruit that will last. That is what Jesus called us to do this work: to go and produce fruit that will last. How? Prayer will water the fruit to grow. May the Lord touch you with this precious message that Jesus is our friend and we are His friends too.