Monday, June 23, 2008

Don't forget Gethsemane!

Song: Lead Me To Calvary
Lest I forget Gethsemane;
Least I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.

Verse 1
King of my life I crown Thee now
Thine shall the glory be.
Lest I forget Thy thorn-crowned brow
Lead me to Calvary.

Jesus' agony in Gethsemane.
Luke 22:39-46 New Century Version
Jesus left the city and went to Mount of Olives, as he often did, and his followers went with him. When he reached the place, he said to them, "Pray for strength against temptation." Then Jesus went about a stone's throw away from them. He kneeled down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing take away this cup of suffering. But do what you want, not what I want." Then an angel from heaven appeared to him to strengthen him. Being full of pain, Jesus prayed even harder. His sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. When he finished praying, he went to his followers and found them asleep because of their sadness. Jesus said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray for strength against temptation."
[Matthew 26:36-46; Mark 14:32-42]

Notes:
Mount of Olives, a hill covered with olive trees
near Jerusalem; site of the garden of Gethsemane,
Matthew 21:1;24:3;John 8:1;
David cried there, 2 Samuel 15:30;
Jesus prayed there, Luke 22:39-53;
Jesus ascended from there, Acts 1:6-12.

Dorothy:
I saw one of the collection song: Lead me to calvary. It touched my heart because I just felt like I don't want to forget His agony, His cup of suffering, and His prayers. Lest means if. So if I forget Gethsemane, if I forget His agony and if I forget His love, just remind me of Calvary. Remember Calvary! In a vision, lead me to Calvary. Just don't forget Gethsemane. Why? Where will Jesus comes again? To the Mount of Olives, the very same garden of Gethsemane where He spent a lot time in prayers and in meditation. Notice this: Jesus said, "Pray for strength against temptation" two times. You may wonder, what should I pray for today? Pray for strength against temptation. You may ask, what temptation? Too busy to pray, too lazy to pray, not keeping in touch with Holy Spirit, and other things. Just remind ourselves to stay in touch with Holy Spirit. Pray for strength to fight against our flesh and be an overcomer for Jesus. Amen! Have a good day!