Friday, June 20, 2008

God Is Our Refuge

Psalm 59:16,17
KJV: … I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.
AMP: … I will sing of Your mighty strength and power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy and loving-kindness in the morning; for You have been to me a defense—a fortress and a high tower—and a refuge in the day of my distress. Unto You, O my Strength, I will sing praises; for God is my defense, my fortress and high tower, the God Who shows me mercy and steadfast love.
NCV: … I will sing about your strength. In the morning I will sing about your love. You are my defender, my place of safety in times of trouble. God, my strength, I will sing praises to you. God, my defender, you are the God who loves me.

Psalm 46:1
AMP: God is our refuge and strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation] a very present and well-proved help in trouble.
NCV: God is our protection and our strength. He always helps in times of trouble.

Different short choruses related to:
God is a refuge for us [Psalm 62:8c].


The Solid Rock
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
[Mote, 1797-1874 and Bradbury, 1816-1868]

The Haven of Rest
I’ve anchored my soul in the Haven of Rest,
I’ll sail the wild seas no more;
The tempest may sweep o’er the wild stormy deep,
In Jesus I’m safe evermore.
[Gilmour, 1836-1920 and Moore, 19th Century]

A Shelter in the Time of Storm
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A shelter in the time of storm.
[Charlesworth, 1839-? and Sankey, 1840-1908]

Dorothy:
May the Lord keep our inner peace during the trouble times of what we have seen in the newspaper that “alarmed” us. Keep our eyes on Christ, who is our solid Rock. In Jesus, we sensed deep rest, a place of rest from troubled news. Weary land could represent constant problems like changing of weathers, wars, troubled areas [crime], etc. The songs remind us that Christ is the Rock, and the Place of Rest, we can turn to. God bless you.