Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Building Character 6 - 4/23-26/19

23-26 April 2019 - Building Character 6 – Manna by Dorothy & Tony Callies
Theme: Perseverance Builds Character

2 Peter 1:5-7 teaches: “Make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.” (NIV) [mutual affection from KJV’s brotherly kindness]

Remember the word, persevere (verb) is to keep at something in spite of difficulties, opposition, or discouragement. Why do we need this perseverance (noun) to build our character?  Peter has the answer: “If all these things are in you and are growing, they will help you to be useful and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 1:8 NCV).  

I noticed three words … “Make every effort” from NIV from 2 Peter 1:5, 10 and 14. The word, effort means hard work of mind and body and serious try.  In KJV, it really came from “give diligence.” We used ASL sign, “enthusiasm.” 

Dorothy: What impressed me? Make every effort … giving all diligence … means the same thing, but it’s three sentences ‘make every effort’ seems to fit my today’s language. It had more impact.  So thank You Holy Spirit for enlightened the Word of God into my heart. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen!

Come into my heart, come into my heart
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus!
Come in today, come in to stay.
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus!

Just want to be closer to Jesus!

Dorothy

No comments: