Saturday, August 4, 2018

Just a Few? 8/1-5/18

01-05 August 2018 - Just a Few? – Manna by Dorothy and Tony Callies

2 Kings 4:3 NCV, “Then Elisha said, “Go and get empty jars from all your neighbors.  Don’t ask for just a few.”

Theme: A Widow Asks Elisha for Help.
Here’s a story about a widow who ask Elisha, the prophet for help. So what happen here, I would like to share something in my own words from 2 Kings 4:1-7.  The wife of a man was from the groups of prophets.  Her husband was dead.  Her creditors came to her because her husband had a debt that wasn’t paid for.  The creditor threatened her that if she doesn’t pay up, they would take her two boys and sell them for slavery and that would pay off her debts.

She came to Elisha for help since her deceased husband had once served Elisha. She explained that the creditors was going to takes her two boys for slavery.  Elisha asked her question, “What do you have in your house?”  The woman said, “I don’t have anything there except a pot of oil.”

In KJV, Elisha said, “Go borrow the vessels all over your neighbors, even empty vessels; find as many as you can. Just don’t borrow a few, but borrow many vessels as you can find.”  Today’s language, we called it JARS for vessels.

In NCV, Elisha said, “Go and get empty jars from all your neighbors.  Don’t ask for just a few. Then go into your house and shut the door behind you and your sons.  Pour oil into all the jars, and set the full ones aside.”  So she left Elisha and shut the door behind her and her sons.  As they brought the jars to her, she poured out the oil.  2Kings 4:3-5.

When the jars were all full, she said to her son, “Bring me another jar.”  But he said, “There are no more jars.”  Then the oil stopped flowing.  She went and told Elisha.  And the prophet said to her, “Go, sell the oil and pay what you owe.  You and your sons can live on what is left.”  2Kings 4:6-7.

Dorothy: What this story impressed me was the title, “Just don’t borrow a few.” It means “find as many jars as you can” and keep pouring oil into empty jars.  A widow’s pot of oil kept overflowing into another jar, another jar, and another jar until there’s no more jars to fill with oil.  So there were plenty of jars of oil to sell and be able to save her sons from slavery. God answered the widow’s prayer to save her sons.

This story reminds me how much God cares for those who are in need. This story inspired me, “Don’t limit God from being able to ‘overflow you’ with your needs, physically and financially.”  Empty jars or vessels represent us.  Ever felt empty inside? I do many times.  This is why I turned to God’s Word as an anointing oil to fill up inside my spiritual life. The more I read God’s Word and prayer, the more He filled up the oil of Holy Spirit inside of me.

Prayer: O Lord, teach me to remember that you, Father God are eager to pour out oil of blessings upon us when we ask You for help. Scripture tells me, don’t ask You for just a few. So I am asking You to pour out plentiful oil of blessings upon me, Tony, my friends and my families, spiritually, physically, and financially in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen! 

Because of this Manna, I appreciate the song and the words so much more.  In Riverside Calvary Church, in the hearing service on Sunday night with an interpreter. As a teenager, I remember how the song was sung when I was able to hear with the hearing aid with the song book to read and watch sign language in rhythm.

Song: Bring Your Vessels, Not a Few
Chorus:
He will fill your heart today to overflowing,
As the Lord commanded you,
“Bring your vessels, not a few.”
He will fill your heart today to overflowing
With the Holy Ghost and power. 
[Lelia Naylor Morris, Sing His Praise]

1. Are you looking for the fullness
            of the blessing of the Lord
            In your heart and life today?
   Claim the promise of your Father,
            come according to His Word,
            In the blessed old-time way. 
            (Next chorus)

2. Bring your empty vessels,
            clean thro’ Jesus’ precious blood,
             Come, ye needy, one and all;
    And in human consecration
            wait before the throne of God,
             Till the Holy Ghost shall fall.
            (Next chorus)

3. Like the cruse of oil unfailing
            is His grace forever more,
            And His love unchanging still;
   And according to His promise
            with the Holy Ghost and power,
            He will every vessel fill.
            (Next chorus)

May the Lord bless you!

Dorothy
PS. Really, this is tough for me to try to develop this Manna.  
It took me days, but His Word feeds my soul. It's worth it!

No comments: