Sunday, May 6, 2018

Just a Little While 5/4-7/18

04-07 May 2018 – Song: Just a Little While – Manna by Dorothy Callies
Psalm 71:16a “I will go in the strength of the Lord . . .”                            

Title: The Prayer of an Aged Man on the whole chapter of Psalm 71.
It was King David’s prayer: “Lord, you are my hope. Lord, I have trusted You since I was young.  I have depended on You since I was born; You helped me even the day of my birth.  I will always praise You.  I am an example to many people, because You are my strong protection.  I am always praising You; all day long I honor You (NCV, Psalm 71:5-8).

Psalm 71:9 KJV: “Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.”  NCV: “Do not reject me when I am old; do not leave me when my strength is gone.”  King David prayed: IN THEE, O Lord, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion (KJV Psalm 71:1). NCV: “In You, Lord, is my protection. Never let me be ashamed.”

Commentary on “I PUT MY TRUST.” This psalm contains (explained) a prayer by an older person (v.9) who faces troubles and needs God’s help to rescue him from his enemies and afflictions (vv. 1-2,18).  King David had walked in God’s ways since childhood (vv. 5-6,17) and experienced exceptional troubles in life (v. 20), yet David had kept his faith and confidence in God.  David was determined to live the rest of his life with the confidence that God will manifest (show) His power and goodness in his life.

Ps. 71:9 “IN TIMES OF OLD AGE.”  When strength is failing and the troubles of aging are more evident, we are encouraged to remember God’s guidance in days gone by and look unto Him as our protector, helper, and supporter for the last days of life.  And the hour of death when physical strength fails, we should know that He will not forsake us but will be near (vv. 12,18) as He brings us by the holy angels into His heavenly presence (Luke 16:22).

Ps. 71:18 KJV: “Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shown thy (Your) strength unto this generation, and thy (Your) power to everyone that is to come.” NCV, “Even though I am old and gray, do not leave me, God.  I will tell the children about Your power; I will tell those who live after me about Your might.”

Dorothy: This is my inspiration verse: “I will go in the strength of the Lord . . .” Psalm 71:16a.  On this one, I like the KJV better than NCV.  Our hope and purpose in life, we will continue to live in God and be filled with His Spirit, so that His power and goodness might be clearly shown in Tony’s life and mine.  I pray that through the Manna whoever read it would be inspired to seek earnestly God’s kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33).

As for news: The other day, I asked the Lord what to read in the Bible.  He led me to read Psalm 71 and I was impressed there was such “The prayer of an aged man” as shown in the Full Life Study Bible.  As a result of this study the last few days, I felt confidence that it was time to move on to seek “no step” apartment as I saw the ads. Our lease is coming up this month of May for June 30th and please pray that the same landlord will find the right apartment for Tony and me. If not, we might seek elsewhere.

During the last weekend, we had been busy preparing our things for the upcoming garage sale on May 10 and 11 at friends’ home.  Bless their hearts to help us out.  There were a lot of stuff that we had to get rid of to make our lives easier.  I appreciate friends that have truly helped us.

All of the sudden, the song came to me and I share it with Tony if he remember we sang the chorus for many years.  He started to sing and Tony laughed with joy as we sang it together.  So we’re practicing as duet for the upcoming 15th Annual Anchor Deaf Women’s Ministry for afternoon service on May 19th Saturday at First Assembly of God Church, 800 East Vernon Ave, Normal, Illinois. If you want to know about it, contact Barb Reu’s email: path431reu@gmail.com.

Song: Just a Little While
[Lyrics: Eugene Monroe Bartlett, Sing His Praise]
Chorus:
Just a little while to stay here,
Just a little while to wait,
Just a little while to labor,
In the path that’s always straight;
Just a little more of troubles
In this low and sinful state (earth),
Then we’ll enter heaven’s portals (place, gate)
Sweeping (walking) thro’ the pearly gates.

1. Soon this life will all be over,
And our pilgrimage (traveling) will end;
Soon we’ll take our heavenly journey,
Be at home again with friends;
Heaven’s gates are standing open,
Waiting for our entrance there;
Some sweet day we’re going over,
All the beauties there to share.
[Then Chorus]

2. Soon we’ll see the light of morning,
Then the new day will begin;
Soon we’ll hear the Father calling,
“Come My children enter in”;
Then we’ll hear a choir of angels
Singing out the victory’s song;
All our troubles will be ended,
And we’ll live with heaven’s throng (group).
[Then Chorus]

May the Lord bless you today!

Dorothy

No comments: