Thursday, January 11, 2018

Song Strengthen Us 1/11-14/18

11-14 January 2017 - Songs that Strengthen Us – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Exodus 15:18 “The Lord shall reign forever and ever.”

A song I remembered so well when I was 13 years old, just learning the sign language when I attended Riverside Deaf School in California, “I Must Tell Jesus.” It was Sunday night service with my deaf sister, Anna Gerti Inga and deaf brother-in-law, Lester with my other hearing brother-in-law, Howard who helped with finger spelling interpreting service in Assembly of God church in Pomona, California.  I wore hearing aid at that time, I really sang my heart out and I remember one hearing man watched us to make sure we get the right page when we joined with the large hearing congregation.

When I sang with my voice and with my signs and with my whole heart, “I must tell Jesus”, I felt the song really uplifted me and really strengthen me.  It was really a prayer song, and a heartfelt song to Jesus. Even now, it does wonders to my inner spirit. It brings healing to my body when I need it so badly. 

Song: I Must Tell Jesus
E. A. Hoffman, Melodies of Praise
Chorus:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

1. I must tell Jesus all of my trials;
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares of His own.
2. I must tell Jesus all of my troubles;
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him, He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.
3. Tempted and tried, I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus;
He all my cares and sorrows will share.
4. O how the world to evil allures me!
O how my heart is tempted to sin!
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the victory to win.

Dorothy: What made me write this Manna? It started with Daily Bread devotion that inspired me: *In the Old Testament times, the people of Israel were often inspired to compose and sing songs to celebrate God’s help during times of need. When the Lord saved His people from certain destruction by Pharaoh’s army, Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the Lord . . . ‘I will sing to the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously!  The horse and its rider He has thrown into the sea! The Lord is my strength and song, and he has become my salvation’” (Exodus 15:1-2).

*Music has the power to lift our spirits by reminding us of God’s faithfulness in the past.  When we’re discouraged, we can sing songs and hymns that raise our eyes from challenging circumstances we face to see the power and presence of the Lord.  We are reminded that He is our strength, our song and our salvation. [*Quote from David McCasland wrote].

Dorothy: So it is our songs of praise that raise our eyes to see God’s faithfulness day by day.  I want to thank God, Father who has given me the Holy Spirit for being such a wonderful person with the great encouragement He has given to me and to you. May the Lord bless you as you sing your other favorite song as well.

No comments: