Monday, January 1, 2018

In His Grip 1/1-2/18

01-02 January 2018 - In His Grip – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Today is a new beginning to mediate that “Christ has laid hold of me.” Let us read on:

Philippians 3:12b “. . . I press on, that I may lay hold of that which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me” (NIV).

Reading King James Version on this verse 12 part b “. . . but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.” I admit I did not understand this depth of Paul’s writing until I read the Daily Bread devotion, “In His Grip.” It explained the example of “grip.”  It means to seize firmly or to grasp or to hold on to for this kind of devotion.

The writer, David Roper from Daily Bread tells the story when they cross a busy street with small children and say to them, “Hold on tight,” and the little ones grasp their hand to mom and dad as tightly as they can.  But the writer said that they would never depend on their grasp.  It is “mom and dad’s” grip on their hands that holds them and keep them secure. 

In another word, the littles one who hold hands to the adults sometimes they easily slipped so it is the adults’ strength that have to hold firmly to the little ones’ hands to make sure they are safe when they cross the busy street. 

The writer was comparing to what Paul said in this scripture, saying, Paul insists “Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me (Phil.3:12). Or more exactly, “Christ has a grip on me!” Paul is saying, “I lay hold on Jesus, but Jesus also laid hold of me.”

The writer, David Roper quoted: “One thing is certain: It is not our grip on God that keeps us safe, but the power of Jesus’ grasp. No one can take us out of His grasp—not the devil, not even ourselves. Once we’re in His hands, He will not let us go.”

Dorothy: Wow! What a beautiful thought to begin with the New Year Resolution. I have never thought the way Paul explained so deeply and that it took the translation to understand the depth from King James Version Bible. And it also took David Roper, the writer to expand the meaning of the scripture from Philippians 3:12b that I have come to appreciate God’s Word revealed to me clearly.

We are not to worry about how we have to hold on to God, but that we understand, Jesus Christ has already laid hold of us. Jesus said from John 10:28-29 that “no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.” Oh, I just felt a deep released that Satan cannot get us. What a deep freedom to know that Christ and I are holding on to each other! It is not just us alone! Praise God for His grace and kindness that hold on to us.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you!

Dorothy 

No comments: