Monday, January 20, 2014

My Soul Longs, Special Guest

Special Guest Brenda Harness with a Special Letter – Dorothy Callies – Jan. 20, 2014

Psalm 84:2-3 “My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the Living God. Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God” (KJV).  

Dearest Dorothy,
            I have a kind of devotion to share. You can add the scripture quotes to it and a song at the end, to fit your template and make it presentable.
            My son, Danny, age: 35 years, 9-1/2 months and married just under 5 years to Katie, was a well-known computer technician (for Kevin and Rebecca Schaefer). He became ill in late December with pneumonia. He and Katie both contracted the H1N1 virus. She was given Tamiflu, and recovered. Danny, with his body already weakened by the pneumonia, could not fight or heal. He kept improving a little then losing ground. The Spirit told me that Danny would not survive. I prayed, begging and bargaining for his life. Doctors kept performing last ditch efforts to save him by putting him in a medically induced coma on a ventilator and even sent him from the hospital in Normal to a larger hospital in Peoria. But his oxygen level dropped too much and damaged his brain. His brain swelled. Doctors tested his brain and said he had passed away. With our permission, they unhooked the machines that kept his heart and lungs moving.
            The next two days I was SOOO angry that my son had to die. Yet, I continued thinking. God's son had to die too. It was part of His plan to save us and to reconcile us to Himself. On the cross, Jesus said, "Father, forgive them. They know not what they do." Other people and I too have read Jesus' words as almost an aside, pondering who Jesus wants forgiven...the Romans who nailed him on the cross?  The criminals hung on crosses by his side? The community who wanted Barabbas released instead of Jesus?
            Based on my new experience, God would have been angry enough to destroy the people and even all of creation. But He did not. He forgave them and He forgives all of us through the life and death of Jesus.  At one time, Jesus also said, "No one gets to the Father except through the son." The Holy Spirit opened this understanding to me, but it was a most horrific...terrible lesson to learn. I asked the Spirit, "What is the meaning of life now?" He answered, "To unite people with God, pointing them to the very cross of Jesus."
            Even though my heart continues to be heavy-laden, I have purpose.
Love,
Brenda

Song: Standing Somewhere in the Shadows
Standing somewhere in the shadows
            you’ll find Jesus
He’s the One who always cares and
            understands.
Standing somewhere in the shadows
            you will find Him
And you’ll know Him by the nail prints
            in His hands.
(Inspiring Choruses)

No comments: