Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Servant Grew

January 9, 2013 - My Servant Grew – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Isaiah 53:2a “My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot, sprouting from a root in dry and sterile ground” (NLT). “For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground” (KJV).

Root out of a dry ground means that Jesus not only had humble beginnings, but He came to earth at a time of great spiritual drought. John the Baptist began to awaken the people shortly before Jesus began His public ministry. During the 400 years before Christ came, God had not revealed Himself to the prophets. Therefore the people became hungry spiritually to hear God speaks to them once again.

Isaiah prophesied that Christ will come to speak to His own people. Isaiah 11:2 “And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him—the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord” (NLT).

John 12:44-50 NLT Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust Me, you are really trusting God who sent Me. For when you see Me, you are seeing the One who sent Me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in Me will no longer remain in the darkness. If anyone hears Me and doesn’t obey Me, I am not His judge—for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject Me and My message will be judged at the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. I don’t speak of my own authority. The Father who sent me gave Me His own instructions as to what I should say. And I know His instructions lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say!”

While Jesus was on earth, His first mission was not to judge people, but to show them the way to find salvation and eternal life. John 17:3 Jesus said, “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (KJV). Jesus prayed for the disciples and also for us to know God in an ever-growing knowledge and the fellowship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

We often wonder what God is like. How can we know the Creator when He doesn’t make Himself visible (easily seen)? Jesus said plainly that those who see Him (Jesus) see God, because He, Jesus is God (Jn. 12:45). If you want to know what God is like, study the person and words of Jesus Christ. It comes from the Bible, the Word of God.

Song: My Desire
My desire … to be like Jesus
My desire … to be like Him
His Spirit fills me
His love overwhelms me
In word and deed to be like Him.
(Inspiring Choruses)

No comments: