Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Like a Sheep

January 21, 2014 - Like a Sheep – Manna by Dorothy Callies”

Isaiah 53:6 “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all” (KJV). “All of us have strayed like sheep. We have left God’s paths to follow our own. Ye the Lord laid on Him the guilt and sins of us all” (NLT).

Commentary from Quick Verse Life Application Bible: Isaiah speaks of Israel straying from God and compares them to wandering sheep. Yet God would send the Messiah to bring them back into the fold. We have the hindsight to see and know the identity of the promised Messiah, who has come and died for our sins. But if we know all that Jesus did and still reject him, our sin is much greater than that of the ancient Israelites, who could not see what we have seen. Have you given your life to Jesus Christ, the “good shepherd” (John 10:11-16), or are you still like a wandering sheep?

1 Peter 2:25 “Once you were wandering like lost sheep. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls” (NLT). John 10:14-15 “I am the good shepherd, I know my own sheep, and they know me. Just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep” (NLT). Hebrews 13:20c “Jesus is the great Shepherd of the sheep by an everlasting covenant, signed with his blood” (NLT).

“Signed with His blood”? We signed our names, but Jesus didn’t sign His name. He signed “His blood!” His covenant “cut” was blood. There wasn’t one cut. There were many cuts, too many to count. If we understand this covenant, the agreement was made through the cut, and then it gives us a clearer picture of our “Suffering Messiah” on the cross. I found this song and thought this would be a good song of Jesus Christ, the Shepherd to His sheep. May the Lord touch your heart with His song to you.

Song of Jesus: I Gave My Life for Thee

1. I gave My life for thee: My precious blood I shed
That thou might’st ransomed be, And quickened from the dead;
I gave, I gave My life for thee; What hast thou giv’n for Me?
2. My Father’s house of light; My glory-circled throne,
I left for earthly night, For wand’rings sad and lone;
I left, I left it all for thee; Hast thou left ought for Me?
3. I suffered much for thee, More than thy tongue can tell
Of bitt’rest ag-o-ny, To rescue thee from hell;
I’ve borne, I’ve borne it all for thee; What hast thou borne for Me?
4. And I have bro’t to thee, Down from My home above,
Salvation full and free, My pardon and My love;
I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, What hast thou brought to Me?
(Frances Ridley Havergal, Sing His Praise)

Revelation 7:17 “For the Lamb who stands in front of the throne will be their Shepherd. He will lead them to the springs of life-giving water. And God will wipe away all their tears” (NLT).

No comments: