Sunday, January 19, 2014

He Was Cut

January 18-20, 2014 – He Was Cut – Manna by Dorothy Callies

Isaiah 53:5c “… with His stripes we are healed” (KJV). “He was whipped, and we were healed” (NLT).

This is a very famous verse, “With His stripes,” but does it have any impact on us? The word, “stripes,” does not seem to be our language so how about “whipped?” Ouch! We know what being whipped is like when we were young and disobedience to our parents. The word, “whipped” might be common to us while the word, “stripes” might not so it has a little meaning until we saw a movie, of Christ’s being whipped with His back being “cut.” Oh, that was a different story. Then our eyes were opened to what He... went... through...

1 Peter 2:24 tells us that “He personally carried away our sins in his own body on the cross so we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. You have been healed by his wounds!” Wound? That’s another meaning: an injury involving cutting or breaking of bodily issue. 2: to hurt by cutting. So our Savior has been “cut deeply.” So think … just how many “cuts” did our Savior received? I meant, including the face cut, too!

This was all about “covenant” that Jesus knew He had to face. He said to His disciples, “This is my blood of the New Testament (covenant, agreement) …” Covenant, to make an agreement, there has to be a cut. So that is where the “stripes” comes in. So He was “being cut” for our healing. “With His Cut, we are healed.” Now that is our language.

Don’t you feel this? It seems to be much clearer to really “see” our “Suffering Messiah” that God wants our eyes to be opened so we could understand this first before the healing takes place in our bodies. There are many songs written about His suffering, His sacrifice, His cross, His healing, His love, His grace and much more.

Song: I Will Sing of My Redeemer
I will sing of my Redeemer
And His wondrous love to me;
On the cruel cross He suffered,
From the curse to set me free.
Chorus:
Sing, O sing of my Redeemer,
With His blood He purchased me;
On the cross He sealed my pardon,
Paid the debt, and made me free.
(Lyrics: Philip Paul Bliss, Sing His Praise)

Chorus: I Am Healed By His Stripes
I am healed by His stripes,
   By the stripes that made
        the blood so freely flow;
Just as surely as I know,
        I am save forever more,
I am healed by the stripes
        that Jesus bore.
                (Lyric: Lois Irwin)

No comments: