Friday, March 13, 2015

Wisdom of History (3/13-15)

13-15 March 2015 - Wisdom of History – Manna by Dorothy Callies

1 Corinthians 10:11 NKJV, “All these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition (gentle or friendly criticism or warning).”

God has given us the Bible, partly to help us learn from the history of His people. That is where we get our wisdom from. Biblical lessons has both examples and warnings to guard us against our worst inclinations to make mistakes and lead us into wiser living. The word, inclination means a feeling of liking or of wanting to do something like example of an inclination for sleeping late.

The question is: will we learn from the lessons of the past or will we make the same mistakes of those who came before us? Paul also saw the value of embracing the lessons of history. He warned of the destructive nature of bad choices by reading the story of the children of Israel and their wilderness wanderings—a result of their refusal to trust God and enter the Promised Land (Num. 14).

Then Paul told the believers in Corinth, “All these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon who the ends of the ages have come” (1Cor.10:11). Have you ever read something from the Scripture that often Holy Spirit convicted your heart that you need to change your ways? That is when Holy Spirit gives us wisdom to keep our hearts focus on Christ.

There is one history example I could think about was the Pilgrims who came to Plymouth, Mass in search of new land. What drove them to sail the Mayflower ship to cross the huge sea from England to the new America? They wanted to start a new life with a new freedom of religion and start a new Constitution for the new nation. Why? Wisdom of history has taught them. After 200 years, it went well, but now the United States are losing . . . so what happened to the wisdom of history?

Prayer: Heavenly, Father, we pray that our nation will open their eyes that we have forsaken You. We pray that our nation will repent of their sins and turn back to You. We pray that we listen to Your Word through a song in Jesus’ name!

“If My people’s hearts are humbled, if they pray and seek My face,
If they turned away from evil, I will not withhold My grace.
I will hear their prayers from heaven; I will pardon every sin.
If My people’s hearts are humbled, I will surely heal their land.

Then My eyes will see their sorrow, then My ears will hear their plea;
If My people’s hearts are humbled, I will set their nation free.
If My people’s hearts are humbled, if they pray and seek My face;
If they turn away from evil, I will not withhold My grace.”
(Claire Clonginger, 1986; based on 2 Chronicles 7:14)



No comments: