Monday, August 4, 2014

True Commitment (8/4-5)

Luke 14:27 “Whoever is not willing to carry the cross and follow Me cannot be My follower.”

I was looking for something. I want to know what Jesus wants me to read. I kept several old devotions around to read whenever I could.  So I happen to open July 15, 2009, Our Daily Bread and read what true commitment means. After I had completed this Manna, I was blessed when I understood what Jesus was saying about true commitment. So I thought to share this with you.

Reading from Luke 14:25-27 NCV, “Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and He turned and said to them, 26) If anyone comes to me but loves his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, or sisters—or even life—more than Me, he (you) cannot be My follower. 27) Whoever is not willing to carry the cross and follow Me cannot be My follower.”

“Jesus wanted true commitment from His disciples. Luke 14, we read that large crowds joined Him as he traveled toward Jerusalem. Perhaps these casual followers considered themselves to be His true disciples, but Jesus taught that following Him was more than just knowing facts about Him.

He explained what it really meant to be His disciples when He defined (explained the clear meaning of) the cost of discipleship: Nothing, not love for father or mother or even one’s own life, was to take precedence (priority) over loyalty to Jesus. (Luke 14:26-33)

His disciples (then and now) must acknowledge that if God is to be primary (first) in their lives, possessions and even social relationships have to be secondary. Jesus calls His disciples to be absorbed (to hold the interest of) in a single (only one) exclusive (full or complete) thought and passion (love)—Him.” –Marvin Williams.

I interpret this: Jesus called His disciples to put God first in their lives; what they have belong to Him; friends or social life comes in second; to be absorbed was to be swallowed up in Christ just like a sponge absorbs water. Christ has to be first in their lives and in everything they do was for Him. The history had told stories of how disciples were willing to carry the cross for Christ. They followed Him and told the Good News of Jesus Christ. They were even willing to die for Him.

So what will it take to be a true follower of Jesus Christ? What is commitment? It means an agreement or pledge to do something in the future. It is like giving 100% of yourself to Him whatever you were called to do. As for me, I committed my time to study His Word at a certain hours which leads to develop a daily habit. For me, it is costly to get up early in the morning for Him. What helped me to survive this? Eternity! And that it will be worth it all when I see Jesus. When you find what Jesus wants you to do, it will be worth it all! Think eternity with Him! 

Song: It Will Be Worth It All
It will be worth it all when we see Jesus,
Life’s trial will seem so small
When we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face,
   all sorrow will erase,
So bravely run the race,
   till we see Christ.
   (Inspiring Choruses)

No comments: