Friday, April 19, 2013

The Law of the Lord

Psalm 119:1 
“Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord” (KJV).

As I was looking for “Manna” I opened Psalm 119:1. For me it was difficult to understand this sentence from KJV so I search for more translations.

“Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord” (RSV).
“Happy are people of integrity, who follow the law of the Lord(NLT).
“Happy are those who live pure lives, who follow the Lord’s teaching” (NCV).

I like this commentary from The Full Life Study Bible, Donald Stamps. BLESSED: God promises to pour out His blessing on those who have chosen to live by His Word with all its standards and directives. They will have His personal presence, bringing them strength, help, and protection. THE LAW: The law (Heb. torah) represents God’s entire instruction to His [Israelite] people. It can also refer to the Pentateuch (the first five books of the O.T.) or to the O.T. as a whole.

The other commentary explains that we must be clear what the word law means in the original Hebrew. This word, Torah actually means “teaching,” so that it means teaching that has come out of the mouth of the Living God. When the disciple hears the words of his master’s teaching, he receives through it a revelation of what is in the mind of his teacher, and so here, of what is in the mind of God. Torah then means both teaching and revelation, in fact, both these at once—from God!

So what did I learn? I used to think that the word, law was like a severe punishment of God. But after reading the commentaries, I learn it was different than I thought. I am relief that what I thought was not always correct. I thank God for giving me a good “Manna” this morning, to understand Psalm 119:1 that He meant “who walk in the teaching of the Lord.” So the great peace is given to those who love His teachings.

Song Collection: Great Peace
Great peace they shall have that love me;
Great peace they shall have that love the Lord.
They shall know that in My will nothing shall harm them;
Great peace they shall have that love the Lord.

May the teachings of the Lord give us great peace!

Dorothy 
PS. Manna April 18-19, 2013

No comments: