Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How to Pray-Abiding in Christ

John 15:7-9 KJV If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

The secret of answered prayer is abiding in Christ. The nearer we live to Christ through meditation and study of the Scriptures and communion with Him, the more our prayers will be in harmony with the words of Christ, and then our prayers will be more effectual. The word effect means influence and power to produce results. Effective or effectual mean producing or making the influence to desire result. In another word, it is more fruitful and more successful. Jesus is telling us that our Heavenly Father is glorified and happier when we abide in Christ and His Words abide in us. This is the kind of fruit that our Heavenly Father is looking for: constant contact with Christ and constant contact with His Word and the fruits will show inside of us. [Constant means always, over and over and never stopping].

Do you ever felt like there are so many things going on inside of you? Even though you may have tried to abide in Christ and study His Words and then you may felt like you’re drifting inside, getting no where or nothing thrilling has happened yet? There is a song that might help you ‘hear’ Jesus calling you ‘home’ to Him. ‘Home’ I mean inside of your heart, a place of rest and peace in Christ. I pray that the song will draw you to Him.

Song: Softly and Tenderly
Chorus: Come home, come home, Ye who are weary, come home,
Earnestly tenderly, Jesus is calling, Calling, O sinner, come home…
1. Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me,
See on the portals He’s waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.
2. O for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me;
Tho we have sinned He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.
[Will L. Thompson]