Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Near the Cross 4/5-11/20

05-11 April 2020 - Near the Cross – Manna by Dorothy & Tony Callies
Matthew 27:32 “As the soldiers were going out of the city with Jesus, they forced a man from Cyrene, named Simon, to carry the cross for Jesus” (NCV).

Dorothy: Two 0r three weeks ago when I got up early morning, the song came to me, Near the Cross. I was so touched because it had been awhile since I remember this song.  I looked up the song and decided to type some of the song because it impressed me so deeply. It seems like Holy Spirit was preparing me to keep my eyes on the cross.

Also I realized it is the week of Jesus’ crucifixion.  The soldiers choose Simon to help carry the cross for Jesus because He was getting weaker and lost a lot of blood.  It was really impossible for Him to walk up to Calvary, but Holy Spirit gave Him the power to complete the work of Salvation on the cross.

As I meditate on Simon, a man who came from Cyrene to attend the annual Passover event, may have been surprised at what was happenings to Jesus.  I believed that much later, Simon might have realized who Jesus really was and felt the privilege of carried the cross for Jesus. It’s a beautiful picture of Simon willingly carried the cross for Jesus.

This reminds me of what Jesus said, “Take up (your) cross daily, and follow Me” (Luke 9:23). I pray that God, our heavenly Father gives us peace to “bear the cross” of restriction of what was happening to all of us. I pray that God gives us grace to endure day by day. I pray that the song, Near the Cross will keep us close to Jesus. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Song:  Near the Cross
1. Jesus keeps me near the cross,
There a precious fountain,
Free to all a healing stream,
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.
Chorus:
In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

2. Near the cross a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and Morning Star
Sheds its beams around me.

3. Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day
With its shadows o’er (over) me.
 (Fanny Jane Crosby, Sing His Praise)

May God bless you!
Dorothy

No comments: