Friday, June 28, 2019

Chastisement 24 - 6/27-30/19

27-30 June 2019 - Building Character 24 – Manna by Dorothy & Tony Callies
Theme: Chastisement Builds Character – Series 24
Hebrews 12:5-7 NKJV . . . “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked of Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens and scourges every son whom He receives.”  If you endure chastening, God deals with you as sons . . .”   (Chastening means to correct by punishment)

This goes on to where Scriptures compares our heavenly Father to an earthly fathers who chasten their children. Is chastening really a pleasant thing to have? There’s an answer to this from Hebrew 12:11 “Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

The best way I could think of what chastisement was all about is to give a few examples. One I remember so well when I was a child, my mom took one long branch off the bushes and used her fingers to slide off the leaves on the switch.  That was the type of chastening on my legs I get so often whenever I do the wrong thing. 

If that didn’t work, the most boring punishment I ever received was my dad put me in the corner on the patio bed with an open air screen windows during his reading newspaper and his nap time. I was really restless, but dad was calm and I was forced to stay there for a whole hour or more.

The name I earned was being called, “The Brat.” Years later I asked why because I was looking at it as negative thing.  My oldest sister, Elise explained to me that it wasn’t intended to hurt me, but that I was into everything.  I gave them headache so many times when I didn’t listen to their scolding or warnings.

When I was a teenager, I asked my mom a question: Why do you punish me more than any other brothers and sisters?  Her answer: I learned the valuable lessons when I did not punish them enough, they got into trouble. So I increase the punishments with you because you need them to become a better person and look how much you have grown. You have improved so much. I am proud of you!

What can I learn from this?  I remember so many chastisements, trials, and disciplines that led me to understand that it was part of building a character.  God loves us so much and He sees the need of chastisement in order for us to become a great and shining people for Him.  Oh, when we see Jesus, all the chastisements will be worth it all because we love Him.

Song: When We See Christ
It will be worth it all
     when we see Jesus;
Life's trials will seem so small
     when we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face,
     all sorrow will erase;
So bravely run the race
     till we see Christ.
 (Esther Kerr Rusthoi, Sing His Praise)

God bless you!
Dorothy
PS. I have done a research on the theme “Chastisement” and there’s more to cover them. If the Lord’s willing, I might share them.  

No comments: